Sunday, July 15, 2012

Another Successful Plan B Excursion...The Old House Parts Company


Ever since I moved back to New England several years ago my BFF and I have an annual tradition of going strawberry picking the weekend on or around the 4th of July.  And this year was no different, after much back and forth trying to find something that worked for both of our schedules we agreed to meet up a couple of Saturdays ago.  I had already planned my week of meals around the strawberry shortcake I was going to make (i.e. I didn’t have to make anything any since I would have shortcake for every meal lol).

Well, for the first time in forever the fields were CLOSED FOR THE SEASON even before the 4th of July.  Can you believe it…apparently it was a very good year and unfortunately for us a very early year.  Guess its back to real meals for me this week….

So, as often happens with us….we moved on to plan B.  After my excursion to Mason Brothers Architectural Salvage in Essex Junction VT, where I just fell in love with house parts I had added some other local architectural salvage shops to my hit list.  One of these The Old House Parts Company immediately came to mind as a great plan B.  It was just down the road from the strawberry farm and I’ve just been dying to check this place out. 
The Old House Parts Company
1 Trackside Dr., Kennebunk ME
The Old House Parts Company is in Kennebunk Maine…the center of large magnificent Victorian houses (and the Bush compound) so there is certainly an abundance of inspiration and inventory for The Old House Parts Company….and we were definitely not disappointed.

We were lucky and were able to tour the Wedding Cake House
 (a private residence) in Kennebunk a couple of years ago on one of
our "plan B" excursions.
Almost before we even got out of the car we were oogling over the fantastic array of vintage pedestal sinks & claw foot tubs…nothing beats a long soak in a claw foot bathtub full of bubbles.



The Old House Parts Company is a huge building and is packed full!  I don’t think we had ever seen so many doors or windows…anywhere.  They were from all eras, in all shapes and sizes 
and all just fantastic!
Can't you just imagine all of the fabulous
things you could do with this window?
Could there be any more of an obvious
sign that this place was for me? (for
those who don't know..KP are my initials)
And I know I have never seen so many pieces of salvaged hardware in one place, if you are looking for doorknobs, hinges, key plates, etc. this is the place for you.  No rusty nails here.
Just one of 3 huge displays of knobs
A utilitarian item with such artistic beauty

There were so many fun things at The Old House Parts Company – not just building materials but industrial decorative items as well. 


Isn't this just a fantastic idea for a
mason jar?  I can just see it in a little cottage
by the sea
Re-purposing of those old not so nice
floral vases and extra glass pieces.  They
are garden stakes!
Take the wheels off, add shelves and hang it on the wall...
that's what they did at The Old House Parts Co. 
It took every bit of self control not to bring this home with
me...I just couldn't decide what I would use it for. But
I am still dreaming about it so I may just have to go
back...
The Old House Parts Company is definitely going on to my list of “must see again’s”!!

This is what actually made it into the car & home with BFF...
isn't it just fantastic?  It's fairly large so we think it must
have been on a scooter/motorbike of some sort...,maybe
milk or newspaper delivery?  It's now perfect for scrapbooking
supplies...yes those are all letter stickers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, thank you so much for commenting.