Monday, April 8, 2013

Lusting for Pink Lusterware

Are you acquainted with Pink Lusterware?  Well, I wasn’t….sure I had seen plenty of the ubiquitous gold & blue and even had a piece or two that I had found over the years…including a hand painted little bowl that my maternal grandmother had painted many, many years ago when that’s what housewives did with their spare afternoons (along with bridge).


My grandmother signed & dated this piece MSM '31 (a little blurry, you'll just have to trust me on this). 
It's kind of cool I know all these years later where she was in her life when she created this...
she was newlywed to my grandfather.

Well, a couple of months ago I was perusing the blog of a fellow north shore blogger Katy Elliot and I stumbled upon this photo that one of her followers had sent her and let me just tell you it stopped me dead in my tracks! 

Photo Source

I was instantly intrigued…such a magnificent display of something I didn’t even know existed.  By the way, Katy writes a really good post about how to collect pink lusterware.  You should definitely check it out if your as intrigued by the collection as I am.
Well, to be fair, I have seen a piece or two over the years but for some reason had never really paid it much attention.  I think it’s the gravity of the number of pieces in this picture that caught my fancy…for sure a dedicated collector if I have ever seen one.

From Katy's post...isn't this a  beauty?
photo source

I really don’t consider myself “a collector” but in reality I probably qualify (she says in the tone of someone fessing up at a “fill in the blank” anonymous meeting).  I freely admit my affinity to depression glass, red transferware, pin trays and a couple of other favs but does that make me a bone a fide collector….I have collector friends and we go on jaunts looking for the illustrious missing pieces to our “collections” but does that make me a bone a fide collector either…
Well, I think I may have crossed the threshold on this one…I have been actively seeking pink lusterware since I came upon Katy's photos.
It’s official I have been pulled to the dark side.  And just to put a nail in the proverbial coffin I have recently acquired these 2 lovely pieces as well as rediscovering this lovely little cup & saucer that was from my great grandmother’s collection.

The start of something good...much more contemporary lusterware but still beautiful



And to make it worse, I really am loving them.  Do I need them, no for sure not but after some deep soul searching I think I’m ok with that.



9 comments:

  1. I love how collections evolve...you have a nice one started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's some collection!!! I have quite a few pieces myself but nothing like that!!! Not many people consider it, but I have always liked it, and you've got a nice start with your sweet pieces......

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are gorgeous! I DO think you NEED them!;>) xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea that they had a name.... I love the depth of the shine on them. Very pretty collection. (thanks for sharing on Project Inspire{d} this week!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, yes you are a collector! There is no shame in that! Embrace, move foreward, buy another piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous collection! I have a new weekly link party which is live now and I would love if you stop by and link up this wonderful post! Hope to see you there! http://mariaelenasdecor.blogspot.com/ Hugs, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh those are so pretty! I am not familiar with them but wow what a collection in the one picture you have there! I can see why you are now a collector.
    Thanks so much for sharing it at the Project Inspire{d} linky party this week. :)
    I hope you have a fabulous rest of the week!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of them. Very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I collect lustreware. Not necessarily pink. I admit I am an addict. Must buy a piece everytime I see it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, thank you so much for commenting.