Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Uncommon Austin

I have recently reacquainted with a friend who I had not seen for a very long time (12 years) who does not live anywhere near me but like me does travel periodically so we’ve been catching up when we both “happen” to be in the same city at the same time.  Last week we were fortunate to be in San Antonio TX so I ventured off to Austin for a couple of days to check out what is so special about Austin.
On the first morning I was in Austin my primary goal was to satisfy my long standing desire for a real pair of cowboy boots.  I had gone to my friend Google (as usual) a couple of weeks before my trip to investigate boot shops and had several options in both San Antonio & Austin.  I really had no idea what to look for in a boot shop but knew that a. good cowboy boots are not inexpensive & b.  fit is critical.  So my first planned stop was Cavender’s Boot City and lucky me Cavender’s turned out to be the only stop I needed to make.  How often do I find exactly what I am looking for on the first try?  Obviously it was fate!

Scored at Cavender's Boot City
4435 S Lamar
Austin TX

We’ll, since I was so efficient with my time in my pursuit of the perfect pair of cowboy boots I was able to then meander a bit to see what else I could find in Austin.  It didn’t take me long to make an unplanned right turn and stumble upon Uncommon Objects (along with a whole block of other hip consignment boutiques).

Uncommon Objects
1512 So Congress Ave
Austin TX

Oh my gosh what a fabulous place Uncommon Objects turned out to be.  Really a little bit of everything from mod Mad Men-esque furniture to western trinkets.  Just fun!

Betty Draper couldn't do any better...


Only in TX...a whole booth full of taxidermy
 

Like moth to a flame....me & tableware
 
Austin has an extremely active vintage scene – so many consignment shops (see vintage around town guide) for both home décor as well as clothing.  I could have spent weeks in Austin just hitting all of them and I think I would still miss something. 

I have been wanting a vintage dress form
for quite a while now...these were really
cool!


So after a few days in Austin I have officially come to the conclusion, everyone is right it is a great city that I certainly need to spend a whole lot more time (and more importantly more money) in!

1 comment:

  1. I'll go back with you! :)
    Nice to see you sharing your jaunts again.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, thank you so much for commenting.