Tuesday, October 11, 2011

To Sew Or Not To Sew

Have I happened to mention that I don’t sew? 
Well, perhaps I don’t sew but I do have this genetic defect that allows me to think I can do most anything if I try hard enough (with the exception of major plumbing and electrical of course).  Now that doesn’t mean I actually can do everything that I think I can but I will generally at least try.
So with that in mind shortly after I bought my house I purchased fabric to make curtains with.  I had looked at custom window treatments (or more accurately drooled over them) but couldn’t justify the cost for something I could “do myself”.  So off to Zimman’s I went.
The window in it's original dressing
when I moved in - don't you just love the
window shade that matches the wallpaper?
Well, fast forward a couple of years and I ashamed to admit curtains were not still made - fabric was still sitting. 
I had no pattern (and why would I make this any easier on myself by buying one?) so decided to take a look at some curtains I had to see how they were constructed to see if I could copy them.  I had a custom valance as well as a ready-made valance that I had used in previous houses but neither of which were just what I wanted for this house. 
Old ready-made was perfect for measuring
I measured & drew out a plan, then realized I hadn’t bought any fabric to line the curtain so headed out to Freddy Farkle’s Fabric Outlet to find just the right khaki.  Can’t have unlined curtains, right?
A couple of weeks ago I vowed to finally get this done, laid out all of the materials and realized I hadn’t purchased enough trim so back I went to find more.  After visits to several fabric shops I couldn’t find the trim to match my original selection so ended up going a different route.  Note to self, next time measure twice, cut once.
Pinning in the trim
This past Sunday evening I finally sat down and pinned everything together and last night got down to business with the sewing machine.  I have a very basic sewing machine that my Mom had picked up for me a few years ago at a yard sale – a new swanky (i.e. expensive) model would be lost on a novice non-sewer such as me.  I’m sure if knew how to use a swankier model it would have made sewing that trim on easier but my basic model worked just fine!
It took me a total of about 3 hours and luckily I had thought it through enough that it wasn’t too stressful once I actually got down to it.  I somehow knew that ironing as you go makes all the difference in your end product so pinned, ironed then sewed and it went fairly smoothly. 
Before the final stitching - the trim is stitched in but that
was all at this point
And here is the finished product:
Not totally perfect but not bad for a novice who doesn't
sew...right?

2 comments:

  1. Lining curtains, what is that? :)
    Your new window dressing looks fabulous. I love the pattern you chose. So fun & fresh. Can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Only you would sew with a pearl bracelet on. I'm jealous of your style. You need to come visit with me and take me shopping. Wait, I'll come see you. !!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, thank you so much for commenting.