Thursday, June 9, 2011

Winthrop Estate Sale

Last weekend was a busy weekend for me – some old friends were gathering at my house for a couple of days of catch up after many years of losing touch. So much fun and so wonderful that these lovely ladies had not changed a bit!!!!  So knowing it was going to be a busy one I decided to take Friday off to get my life (or at least my house) in order.  As anticipated it was a non-stop day but I did find time to sneak an estate sale in. 
As I have mentioned one of the things I love about estate sales is exploring a new part of the city.  Well, this one happened to be in Winthrop MA (Winthrop is near Logan Airport for those not familiar).  I had never been to Winthrop – it’s one of those one way in and one way out kind of beach towns.  I have to say just from my quick visit it looks like a hidden gem – very sweet town with lots of older houses screaming charm.  I did not see one bit of new construction or 1970’s ranch!
The house was definitely 100+ years old and had so many architectural details it was cool to see and get inspiration for upcoming projects.
Exterior of the Winthrop house - corner lot with
prisitine landscaping

Bedroom - check that window out and the
scallop edged shelving next to it

Another Bedroom - I love the little nook inside the arched
wall - would make such a great window seat for curling
up with a book!

Yet another bedroom (and there were 3 more I didn't
get pics of).  Love the recessed window and believe
it or not loved all of the wallpaper.

This was a butler's pantry off the kitchen. The red
behind the shelves was so beautiful

The "dated" kitchen...it does have a charm though
doesn't it...very New England cottagey.  The door
leads to the butler's pantry in the above pic.

 Well the sale I went to was such a great one!  I had been to an estate sale several months ago where there was a book that you could sign up to be notified of future sales from the particular company that was hosting the sale, Essex Street Antiques.  Since the earlier sale was a good one I thought…why not?
This sale was an obvious home clean out and had so many lovely things and some really beautiful antique furniture at reasonable prices.   Some of the treasures I bought were:
Italian Vase - this piece
is signed so I'm going
to have to do some research
on it.

Limoge Haviland tureen & platter.  The
inside of the tureen is even decorated!

Yellow Depression Glass - it's a lovely pale yellow. I'm
always on the look out for unusual depression
glass pieces and I rarely see much in this yellow
color so it was a bonus that it was so beautiful

Hand Painted Bowl.  In the late 1920's a lot
of women were taking china painting lessons.
This has the look & feel of other pieces
I have from this period so I'm guessing
it is the same.  Whoever painted certainly
was talented!
Fab, right?
Many of the furniture pieces I loved were unfortunately sold but next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, thank you so much for commenting.