Monday, April 22, 2013

Boston Strong, The Art Forger & The Gardner Museum


I grew up in a “non-spanking” house.  Not that my parents were necessarily anti-spanking (to my knowledge) but I think it was more that my brother & I were basically good kids and it grounding/taking away privileges just seemed easier to them then exerting the physical/emotional energy to spank.  So needless to say, I had my fair share of days/evenings without the privilege of watching television or talking with my pals on the telephone.

This along with my Mom’s frequently taking us to the local library definitely fostered a healthy appreciation for reading.  I used to love wandering the stacks to find just the perfect book(s) to help pass the many, many mundane hours spent in “time out” (well before there was such a thing as time out of course).

I still am one of those avid readers that reads 3 or 4 books at a time…not all the same genre at the same time though…that would be a little too jumbled for me.

So it only makes sense that one of my absolute favorite monthly social commitments is my book club.  I have the BEST book club!  This is my second attempt at a book club…the first one seemed to turn into a “mommy & me” sharing event.  For someone without children…not so much…

So a couple of years ago I was introduced to a group of lovely ladies by a mutual friend.  The twist of this newly formed book club was that they wanted to read (really read) & do field trips that were book related.  We've done some fun things…movies, mystery dinner cruise, etc. Fast forward a couple of years and a few member changes and we’re still at it.  We definitely read more than we field trip but this last weekend we made up for it by planning a visit to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston.

Isabella Stewart Gardner by John Singer Sargent
photo source 

Last month we read the Art Forger by B.A. Shapiro a fictionalized work taking off from the all too real life 1990 art heist at the Gardner Museum.   The consensus on the book was that we all really enjoyed the book.  A lot.


With all the tragedy happening in Boston last week it was tempting just to stay out of the city and meet up at a more local establishment but we all decided that it was more important to go in and not let the terrorists win and enjoy our day of art as originally planned.

Madame Gautreau Drinking a Toast by John Singer Sargent
photo source  

A New York Blizzard by Childe Hassam
 photo source  

It was a good decision!  I had never been to the Gardner Museum but I had heard an awful lot about it and we had read quite a bit about Mrs Gardner and her relationship with John Singer Sargent in Strapless by Deborah Davis last year.  Isabella Stewart Gardner built this home with well-planned galleries to display her personal art collection and created a museum to share her art with the world.  It’s an absolutely uniquely AMAZING museum.

The Blue Room - that's bald man portrait is Henry James
photo source  

The Dutch Room - the empty frames just waiting for the stolen paintings to be returned to their rightful home.
photo source  

photo source  

photo source  

photo source  

There is nothing staid and stiff about the Gardner.  The house was constructed with a masterfully landscaped courtyard in the center of the house and as you wander through the property you can’t help but just want to grab a cup of coffee & a book and sit in the courtyard and stay a while.

photo source  

photo source

Meandering through the museum the amount of art on the walls, tapestries, sculptures & architectural elements is just overwhelming.  I don’t think you can even remotely see it all in a day although the square footage of the building is definitely manageable.

photo source  

El Jaelo by John Singer Sargent
photo source  

If you’re in Boston I can’t recommend highly enough spending a block of time at the Gardner.  It’s not your traditional art museum, in any way but its eccentricities not only reflect its founder but are in my opinion part of what makes it so uniquely fabulous.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I am a little envious of this trip. Looks like a fabulous estate to meander through and enjoy history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ,this looks like a wonderful trip! I am new to your blog from southern charm! I would love for you to stop by and visit my blog and hopefully you will want to follow me back! Have a great time, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love art and I love history! Thanks so much for sharing on Project Inspire{d}! I have relatives not far from Boston so I may have to visit next time I'm there. :)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this post and you did just what I would have done and did during the time of 9/11 -- I went into the city for a charity concert 5 days after the attack...people thought I was crazy but we did it ...it's good to show that they can't get the better of us! Sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the Gardner! Fantastic museum. I am glad you made it into Boston and enjoyed the City as it gets back on it's feet.

    I went last week and it was a glorious day. Happy memories.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, thank you so much for commenting.