Friday, August 3, 2012

Amish Country Antiquing - Adamstown Antiques


I have needed an official vacation for a while now…one of those vacations where nothing is planned and there is no stress what-so-ever.  I try to get at least one in during the summer since it’s such a short season here but this summer has been busy and tough to find a place in the schedule where it would work…finally I just blocked the time and have been off all week. 

It’s been wonderful but has been packed…that’s ok, I don’t do “nothing is planned” well anyway.
  
My vacation started with a short trip to Lancaster PA with some excellent friends.  Not planned on my part but I was happy to accept the invitation to join them for a few days and see the sights of Amish country as well as a few other fun things.

Adams Antique Mall
2400 N Reading Road (Rt 272)
Adamstown, PA
photo courtesy of google images
 We spent one very hot afternoon hitting the antique shops in Adamstown…Route 272 is packed with every kind of vintage shop you can imagine from mid-century to primitives to French country…it’s all there (and at every price range).


It took an impressive amount of restraint
(on my friend's part) for this to remain in PA
Our first stop was at the AdamsAntique Mall and we instantly knew we were in the right place with the most wonderful industrial looking pieces in front of the shop. 
it took an impressive amount of restraint (on
my part) for this to remain in PA...second guessing
that now though 
There was a momentary hesitation on our part when we walked through the front door and was faced with row upon row of locked glass cases.


An amazing array of jewelry - talk about self restraint...
would have been harder if it wasn't all behind glass though
We quickly by-passed these and found tons of open booths with wonderful things to browse.  While I understand why shops install these glass cases there is just something very unwelcoming about looking through glass.  I want to see things up close and be able to touch it if I want to (understanding the “you break it, you buy it” rule).
It has truly been a very long time since I have seen
so much depression glass as I saw in the many
shops we visited in PA...so pretty!
Lot's & lot's of vintage Christmas goodies
Loved this piece but it had been "refinished"
and had lost a bit of that rustic charm that
many of these kinds of things have
 This place is huge with more than something for everyone and a fantastic respite from the July heat we were feeling last week.  Even my friend’s husband (who by the way, hates anything “old”) had a fun time rummaging and walked away with some way cool old record albums. 


I ended up picking up the most wonderful pictures….not everyone saw the fun in these that I do but they will learn to enjoy them on future visits to my house (since they are going to be hung in my guest room).



Michael Berry whimsical prints...I don't care I say fun,
fun, fun!
Beautiful piece of wrought iron I am going to hang with
some bone china pin tray's in my dining room.  Friends
husband thought it looked like a large trivet...kinda does
but so much prettier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, thank you so much for commenting.