Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Plan B in Rowley MA - Village Antiques


Ever have a day when the best laid plans for a girls day out just wash away with the rain and you have to move to plan B?  Well this was the case when a couple of weeks ago my best girlfriends and I had planned to spend a lovely spring Sunday morning at Todd Flea Market in Rowley MA.  It seemed like the perfect laid plan, breakfast, beautiful day walking the fields looking at goodies, girl bonding time…and then it rained L.

Luckily we’re not the kind of girls to let it rain on our parade so we headed off to the Agawam Diner to caucus over eggs & pancakes and formulate said plan B.  Now when I tell you the Agawam Diner was packed out I am not kidding…line out the door…sure sign of good food…and it definitely did not disappoint. 

166 Newburyport Turnpike (U.S. Rte 1)Rowley, Massachusetts
photo courtesy of Yelp
Although I had really not spent any time in Rowley (shamefully since it’s just around the corner from my house) I had done enough reading in local publications to know that there were several antique & consignment shops that were worth a stop & luckily I had included the information for these on my “shop bucket list”.  So off we went…

First stop was Village Antiques and I knew as soon as I walked through the door this was going to be good.  I barely crossed the threshold when I spotted a small stack of Woods & Burslem red transferware.  The only question was…were these plates my pattern, Colonial or the ever more popular English Scenery?  Well, they were Colonial!!!   I was so excited, I didn’t even hesitate they were mine! 
Woods Burslem Red (Pink) Transferware
Colonial Pattern
These dishes are the same pattern that my great-grandmother had when I was growing up and she was such a good cook that I am convinced that everything I make automatically tastes better on these dishes.  After my great-grandmother passed away her dishes were sold with the rest of her estate.  So when a few years later when I stumbled upon some in an antique shop I decided to make these my every day china.  Finding pieces in good shape at a reasonable price is not always easy but so gratifying when I do score a find.  These were a find.

How fun is this suitcase bar...I can think of plenty of
business trips I would love to take this on :)
Now, this was a great start to a really fun visit to Village AntiquesKate, Pam, Cheryl & I all loved the mix of items Village Antiques had and the shop owner was such a fun lady.  It was such a pleasure to support her business.

Love this FDR bust...I was so tempted!
This "unfortunate" lady really got us laughing
We visited several other shops this rainy Sunday..Salt Marsh Antiques, The White Elephant Shop & The WhiteElephant Outlet.  It was such a fun day!

And of course I spotted this fabulous
lamp...I just love the pop of color!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, thank you so much for commenting.