Sunday, February 23, 2014

Joyeux Noel from the South of France - Part 3, Avignon

After my thoroughly enjoyable day in Grasse, I headed toward Avignon..in the dark. Probably not the best plan in my rental car not having a clue where or what I was driving to but it all turned out just fine.  


Arriving in Avignon

Avignon is a little tricky with it's extremely narrow one lane roads and once I arrived in my hotel I found there wasn't any parking.... anywhere...crap.  So I did what any good Mass-hole (that's a technical term by the way) would do...I parked illegally for a few minutes and hopped into the hotel to find out where to go to park.
  
Hotel de l'Horloge in Avignon...I would definitely stay here again.  It was quiet, lovely and perfectly situated

My hotel was just around the corner from Palais des Papes in the old part of Avignon (although I am not convinced there is anything in Avignon that is not ancient) and within the wall that surrounds the oldest part of the city.  Sometimes it's a crap shoot picking hotels online site unseen but I definitely go lucky on this trip...the hotel was perfect.  Couldn't have asked for a better location, clean well furnished room and lovely staff.  

My first day in Avignon it rained, and when I say it rained it wasn't a lite drizzle it was RAIN. So I did what any good woman would do..I pulled the umbrella out of my suitcase and shopped.  

Snapped this quick Tablescape shot at a fabulous shop in Avignon...Au Jardin De Provence

Avignon has many of the same shops we have in the states but many, many more we don't have.  It was so much fun to check out the trends in the windows as well as what all of the other French women were wearing.  Can you say studded/bedazzled/jeweled boots?  Love!


A little break from the rain...cafe americano & berry cobbler...oh my

With that out of my system the next day I put my tourist hat on and ventured over to Palais des Papes.  


Palais des Papes in Avignon France

In the middle 14th century amongst political unrest on Italy the newly instated French Pope moved the papacy to Avignon and started construction on this palace.


Exterior courtyard at Palais des Papes

It was fully constructed in roughly 20 years...it's impossible to believe as your walking through that it was constructed over such a short period.  


The Dining room at Palais des Papes...can you seriously imagine
setting a table in here?
Inner Courtyard at Palais des Papes

Also hard to believe the history your walking through as you think about all that. Must have occurred in the world during the lives of the 9 popes who lived an ruled here.  

Just outside of the Palais des Papes

To describe this palace as magnificent is a terrible understatement but it's the only word I have.  I spent the better part of my day meandering through the palace and grounds




sharing this week on:

2 comments:

  1. What a stunning post....loved it! Such great Architecture and I adore the tablescape. Thanks for sharing it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful location. Thanks for sharing.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, thank you so much for commenting.